Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New York State of Mind

My family from Colombia is coming to visit soon and I am super psyched! We plan to take them around New York and I can't wait to show them what's up! Sooo, in anticipation of that lil adventure, here are some pics of a funny, adventurous Reading Week spent in New York with my roommate.

First things first though. Chocolate cravings were had and, therefore, needed to be satisfied.


Treasure!

...and then this happened somewhere in between... and yes, those are leopard print leggings. ahem.



ANYWAYS! Moving along. Michelle and I spent the day exploring NYC and then stayed the night with my fashionista friend, Lauren, in Brooklyn.


I'm not sure if you are aware, but subway shots are an obligatory part of any NYC escapade, and as you will see, we took notice of this rule.

after goofing around on the subway, we made our way to Nolita and ate the DELICIOUS and FAMOUS Mexican-style grilled corn at Cafe Habana. So. yummay.

We also made our way over to Union Square at 14th Street and looked around the lovely Union Square market. I love it! We took (multiple) samples of fresh, local apples and (I) spied on the always curious vegetable vendors. We also went into the Union Square Barnes & Noble and, in short, I pretended I was Belle.


Onto the BK! We met up with Lauren at a tapas restaurant called Cadaqués. It was fun and quite chic/funky. (How the BK rolls, it seems.) There was lots of candles and long wooden tables and a Latino-licious band playing all sorts of dance-inducing beats. My camera was not cooperating but here are some blurry snaps:




after this, Lauren took us on a mini night-tour of her neighborhood before we headed back. It was fun to hear her explain the vibe of the neighborhood and her experiences of living in the city. So good to catch up with old friends :) We then went back to her place to sleeeeeep and meet her three (possibly four) guy roommates and their ex-fighter pit bull. Yes, you read that correctly and yes, it was as amusing as it seems.

The next day, Lauren took us to the roof of her building and we looked out over Brooklyn in the morning sunshine. Brooklyn is gritty but funky, historic yet trés a la mode. I had a wonderful time. Thanks Lauren for showing us around!






Reading Week went by so fast, and our New York jaunt felt like a few hours. Man, that's the worst part of trips sometimes...they go way too fast! But, my family gets here soon, so I shall soon be back and in full exploration mode.  Prepare for New York through the eyes of los colombianos. :)

See you sooon!
Coco xx





No comments:

Post a Comment